Aylmerton Nature Diary

Saturday 1st July

Leave a comment

IMG_0227

Comma, just one of hundreds of butterflies along The Street 

There were hardly any birds of note during my afternoon walk in the park. I did see the adult Spotted Flycatcher in the Alders by the viewing screen and a fully fledged young Great Spotted Woodpecker sitting on top of a near-by dead tree. There was no sign of the female Gadwall or her chick. On the plus side, the hedgerows along The Street were absolutely shimmering with butterflies – I’ve never seen so many. 95% were either Ringlet or Meadow Brown, with the remaining 5% consisting of Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Comma and my first Gatekeeper of the year. Surprisingly, I didn’t see a single Painted Lady. A male Broad-bodied Chaser on my allotment pond, earlier in the day, was the only large dragonfly I saw.

Gatekeeper, my first for 2017

IMG_0230

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s